Tuesday, June 16, 2009

April showers bring May flowers; May and June showers bring......

...weeds, wet flowers and mud! Every other day it seems to rain or at least remain mostly cloudy which, no doubt, is causing my vitamin D deficiency. The cottonwoods are spewing their evil cotton, which seems to have a 150% germination rate because I have those stupid things popping up everywhere! And heaven forbid the dog go potty on the grassy areas! She seems to hone in on the muddiest paths. And my liquid fence has been washed away more times than I care to count, so the rabbits and deer are having a smorgasboard with just about everything. I have daisies with no petals, just the yellow centers. Hell, why not just eat the whole thing?? Probably because then I wouldn't have to run around dead-heading them. Bastards.

At least my peonies are surviving. Peonies are such beautiful flowers, usually fragrant and long lasting. Peonies, however, do not do well with rain while blooming. I always have at least one bouqet on my nightstand so I can enjoy their scent but this year I've got vases all over the place!

peonies

3 comments:

The Mistress said...

Do you have the ant problem with yours?

brandy101 said...

my peonies all drooped into muck b/c we have so darn much rain, but I did have one vase-worth last week.

The only upside to this never-ending precipitation is that I have more rose blooms on my climber than I have had in YEARS. I actually have a vase of them in the bathroom, and there are plenty more on the bush.

The Pansy Bastard™ said...

MJ: The ants are really harmless, they are just attracted to the sticky nectar on the outside of the buds. I keep a pail of water and dip the flowers in upside down for about half an hour and then shake well. I think ants can almost be beneficial in the garden so I don't mind them. Once the buds open, they are usually gone.


Brandy: My roses are doing well, too. The two climbers are heirlooms that only bloom on prior years' growth, and the rabbits and are just deer took care of that, but the one climber is up to about 6'. I'm going to plant land mines next to them this fall. The other roses hybrid teas and they are just covered with flowers.