Sunday, May 31, 2009

Iris

Seedling #1

The first iris is one of my seedlings that finally bloomed for the first time last year but wasn't too impressive. This year, it has really done well. Its pod-parent was Edith Wolford, which has opposite colors.

Seedling #2

The second picture is one of my seedlings that looks very similar to the original species I. Germanica. The beards are vibrantly orange.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The last one is the heirloom iris Eleanor Roosevelt.

I hope to have a couple other seedlings blooming soon, one I know will be pink, the other is too soon to tell. The weather this "spring" has been so nuts that things are not blooming when they normally do.

6 comments:

The Mistress said...

Beauties.

They remind me of my childhood home.

The Pansy Bastard™ said...

Thanks! :)

brandy101 said...

We have a swath of tall deep purple irises in our front yard. And the weirdest thing is: they smell VERY strongly like grape candy. I have never found another iris like it but I dont know the hybrid name b/c they came with the house (I did not buy and plant them)

The Pansy Bastard™ said...

The grape smell indicates it is probably an heirloom variety, Brandy. Do you have a picture? Send it to my email and I'll see if I can get you an ID.

Jean-Luc said...

THE FIRST ONE IS SPLENDID
I love the opposite colors purole/yellow

brandy101 said...

Aw, I wish I had taken a pic sooner; they are all shriveled/faded now (and yet still fragrant)

This year they SPREAD and need thinning so if, in the fall, you might like a tuber or two I would be happy to dig some up to send for you to try out.